Sunday, February 06, 2005

Evita

It is a drama musical, and like "The Phantom of the Opera", it is a stage-musical-turned-movie by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Unlike "The Phantom of the Opera", it was not a great success. Majority (including the FiRST magazine) called it a disaster vehicle. To me, it was alright. It is a drama musical and I am not a person for drama coz I find drama slow and draggy and boring. I like classics, epics! But it is considered a real compliment that I label it 'not bad'. I love some of the songs!

The movie stars Madonna as Eva Perón, aka Eva Duarte or more famously: Evita, a B-picture Argentinean actress who eventually became the wife of Argentinean president and dictator Juan Perón, and the most beloved and hated woman in Argentina. She was diagnosed with cancer and died in the 1950s.
They say that the movie was a wreck mainly because of Madonna, that she was a result of bad casting. I say, "Nay". Madonna was great for her role as Eva. The movie was wrecked due to bad direction. They had less than 10 lines of dialog in the whole entire 2-hour movie! Everything was sing sing sing. Sure, it is a musical, but you must know where to draw the line! Turned out to be like one hell of a long music video. It was quite boring, got me wanting to sleep. But I do intend on watching it again within the week. Antonio Banderas was amazing in that movie, and he sings! His voice is brilliant, love it! Believe me when I say he can sing. He could have been a great Phantom if it weren't for his accent. Sorry he didn't get the role. In my opinion, I think it was he who saved the entire movie. I doubt I would have sat through it if it weren't for his outstanding performance. He is in the male supporting role of Ché, a personification of Eva's conscience or some sort. A guy who is there but not exactly there. One minute he's the bar tender, the next he's the reporter or the waiter or the tenant or the detective or an upper-crust gentleman or someone from a hostile mob. He's just wherever Eva is or in a place which concerns Eva.
My favorite songs are 'Oh! What a Circus' (during the beginning which shows Evita's funeral), 'High flying, Adored' (during the middle when Eva is enjoying her success) and the famous 'Don't Cry For Me, Argentina' (when Eva address the crowd(Argentina) from her balcony).

Yes, a fairly good drama-musical. Watch it when you have the time. The music is real good (like all of Andrew Lloyd Webber's works). "Sing for me!" - the Phantom.

You let down your people, Evita.
You were supposed to have been immortal.
That's all they wanted, not much to ask for.
But in the end you could not deliver.

- Ché (Antonio Banderas)

My rating: 3.5/5*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home